5 Tasty Tip Bits that Could Kill Your Cat/Pet.
The holiday season is such a yummy time for everyone and that includes your pets. But unfortunately some of the delicious left overs on your plates are poison to your pets and could even kill them.
Image Credit: imgarcade.com
Avoid the Holiday Emergency
The holiday season may be a time for giving, except when it comes to giving certain table scraps to your cat. Foods commonly found on our dinner and party tables such as turkey, pork and cheese are too high in salt and fat for our pets. An overload of fat can even lead to medical issues like pancreatitis, which causes the pancreas to become inflamed. Forgo the holiday table scraps for Fluffy and Fifi this year, especially when it comes to these 5 foods, which can be deadly if consumed in sufficient quantity.
Onions, garlic and other foods in the Allium family, such as leeks and scallions, can all be extremely poisonous to cats if consumed in sufficient quantity. “Onion and garlic poisoning results in oxidative damage to the red blood cells (making the red blood cells more likely to rupture) and gastroenteritis (e.g., nausea, oral irritation, drooling, abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhoea),” according to the Pet Poison Helpline. Garlic is also considered to be about five times as potent as onions, so think again before offering your cat some potatoes with the ingredient.
Beer, wine and cocktails aside, alcohol can also be found in desserts and can be created in your cat’s stomach if they ingest homemade or store bought yeast dough used in making holiday breads and rolls. Even small amount of alcohol, both ingested through alcoholic beverages and produced in the stomach, can be life threatening, making it important to call your vet before you notice any serious poisoning symptoms like seizures.
Continued On The Next Page >