• WARNING… Blue-Green Algae Can Kill Your Dog

    By -

    WARNING… Blue-Green Algae Can Kill Your Dog

    Once the summer comes we think nothing of letting our pets leap into a pond or lake to cool down. The green algae on the top soon disperses as your pet starts to swim through it. But it can take just one or two licks of this deadly toxin and your dog could die from fatal poisoning. Empty old containers in your garden or plant trays fill up with rain water and get smelly with green algae forming on the top, your dog starts to drink it, this water could contain deadly toxins and bacteria. This warning is not just for dogs it is all pets/animals. Cattle, horses as well as our selves and children.

    image Credit:madmikesamerica.com

    algae-bloom

    Take a look at this informative article posted by  in Animal Safety

    The dangers of blue-green algae | Dr. Justine Lee

    Posted by in Animal Safety,

    Early this month in Minnesota, several dogs died of blue-green algae poisoning. As a toxicologist, I wanted to help spread the word on this quick-acting, deadly poison.

    Before you let your dog jump into that lake to cool off this summer, pay heed! As the dog days of summer sadly come to an end, I wanted to write to warn you to be more discriminating about what lakes you let your dog swim in this summer.

    Maybe I’m just a bit paranoid, but when it comes to swimming in lakes, you want to make sure to avoid ones that have that green scum layer on top of the lake. Why? It’s because during really hot summers and fall, there’s an increased likelihood of the lake developing a thick “bloom” of algae, which float on the surface of the lake. So, why do I worry about this as a toxicologist?

    Because of blue-green algae.

    Blue-green algae, which is called cyanobacteria, is a microscopic bacteria found in freshwater ponds, lakes, streams, and brackish water ecosystems. Note that not all types of algae are poisonous, but some types can produce toxins called microcystins and anatoxins. These toxins are so dangerous that they are actually poisonous to other species too: humans, cattle, horses, cats, etc. For this reason, you shouldn’t allow your dog (or child) to swim or drink water that has been potentially contaminated with blue-green algae.

    While it’s impossible to be able to tell if it’s benign or poisonous algae on the pond or lake, it’s best to heed caution and avoid allowing your dog to swim in any body of water that has visible algae on the surface. That’s because even small exposures (as little as 1-2 licks), can potentially result in fatal poisoning.

    What are the signs to look for if you think your dog has ingested some algae water….

    Continued on the next page >>>>

    Next Page »

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *